Session: Blogging Rules to Break and Follow
Presenter: Ron Culp – Fellow PRSA, DePaul University and Anne Waddington, Springbuk
Recap: Blogging has become a powerful online tool for public relations practioners and social media pros within the past few years. With more and more people becoming aware of blogs through traditional social media platforms, it’s crucial for budding professionals to get involved in the latest trend. During the session, Ron Culp and Anne Waddington presented on ways to promote, start and enhance personal and professional blogs.
- Write down every single idea that pops into your head.
- Résumés are dead – employers take more time to look at your social media and your LinkedIn profile than anything else now.
- Read, reread and reread again before posting a blog.
- If any red flags come up when potential employers view your social media, it most likely won’t work in your favor.
- Market yourself and your blog through social media AND your network.
Natalie Gloady is a senior at Waynesburg University, where she is majoring in public relations and sports information. She serves as the public relations director for Waynesburg PRSSA, as well as an account executive for Red Brick Communications. Natalie hopes to pursue a job in the sports industry as a social media coordinator or publications director post graduation. Follow her on Twitter or connect with Natalie on LinkedIn.