Session: Get Your Head in the Game
Presenter: Andrea Farmer, APR, Associate Director of Strategic Initiative, NCAA
Recap: The NCAA strives to help student athletes financially, characteristically and physically through 24 different sporting areas. With a cause that unites athletes and sports fans, a lot of strategic planning and research must go into every tactic the organization attempts. Associate Director of Strategic Initiative, Andrea Farmer, presented to aspiring public relations professionals how they can prepare for a job in strategic communication in the sports industry.
- Everyone decision should be based off of research and data
- Do not go into anything thinking that you know everything. No one knows everything.
- Strive to have a cross between a great attitude and good writing.
- Get as much experience as you can, but always remain humble.
- Know what you think is your “dream job” can change; stay open to this.
Natalie Gloady is a senior at Waynesburg University, where she is majoring in public relations and sports information. She serves as the public relations director for Waynesburg PRSSA, as well as an account executive for Red Brick Communications. Natalie hopes to pursue a job in the sports industry as a social media coordinator or publications director post-graduation. Follow her on Twitter or connect with Natalie on LinkedIn.