Session: Running the News
Presenter: DeShong Perry-Smitherman – United States Corporate Communications Manager with the AES Corporation and Deanna Fry – News Producer with Fox 59
Recap: In this contemporary session, Smitherman and Fry offered two different perspectives on how to run the news. Smitherman gave a public relations perspective, while Fry offered a producer’s perspective. Both of these came together to show that as public relations professionals an understanding of the newsroom is essential. By understanding the newsroom and creating relationships newsroom, you can create awesome pitches and ideas, as well as know how to capture someone’s attention.
- Write a headline that makes people think “OMG!”
- Give reporters just enough that they want more; make them need you
- Craft questions that you want reporters to ask you when you have an interview
- Reporters do not have time to deal with public relation mistakes, so make everything accurate
- Build relationships with producers, editors and anchors to better understand what they need and are looking for in stories
Amanda Troncone is a sophomore public relations student, and serves as the professional development coordinator for Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America. She hopes to someday partner her passion with public relations to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. Follow Amanda on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.