Session: New Forms of Communication
- Lexi Bulculfine, Editor – The Incline
- Kenny Chen, Program Director – Thrill Mill
- Michelle Flynn, Host – BurghTV
Recap: In this session, the panelists discussed their innovative media platforms—including The Incline, an entirely mobile news outlet; Thrill Mill, an early-stage startup accelerator and BurghTV, a “news station” broadcasted entirely from SnapChat.
The purpose was to show the young professionals the extent of our ever-changing field, and inform us of new opportunities. The young innovators encouraged us to be patient and keep searching for chances to be creative and stand out.
- Always say yes to every opportunity: keep doors open to build rapport and discover your passions at the same time.
- Be resilient. You are bound to face criticism and negativity; just continue to improve and remain true to yourself.
- Find a job where you will meet mentors who will guide you and teach you to be your own, better professional.
- Look for new public relations tactics that may be unexpected or have not been tried before. If you work for a creative startup company, be creative. It is all about connecting with the consumer in new ways.
- Stay connected with the professionals that you meet. When it comes to new forms of communication, you will need supporters and other creative people to offer advice.
Teghan Simonton is a sophomore with a dual major in public relations and journalism. She serves as the publicity chair for Waynesburg PRSSA and as managing editor for the award-winning Yellow Jacket student newspaper. She is an active member of Red Brick Communications and the Society of Professional Journalists. In her free time, Teghan is a member of the cross country and track teams.