Session: How to Write a Killer Job Application
Presenter: Danny Rubin, Vice President – Rubin Communications Group
Recap: Rubin gave a lively and energetic presentation on how well-written job applications can catch the attention of potential employers. He stressed the importance to quantify our success by using specific numbers in every experience that you can, as well as researching the company prior to an interview. Rubin also explained that writing a cover letter that shows your “soft side” tells a story is increasingly more beneficial.
- Quantify how successful you are by attaching numbers to your résumé
- Every bullet point included needs to paint a picture in the mind of the reader
- Do your research and crush their expectations
- The only way you can prove your research is by referencing a certain project, linking it to the conversation and talking about why you liked it
- Don’t forget the incredible power of a “storytelling” cover letter
Amanda Troncone is a sophomore public relations student, and serves as the professional development coordinator for Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America. She hopes to someday partner her passion with public relations to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. Follow Amanda on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.