Session: The Profit of Nonprofits
Presenter: Nicole Minadeo, Director of Communication and Public Relations – John G. Shedd Aquarium
Recap: Minadeo provided real life examples to increase awareness and coverage of a nonprofit organization. Throughout her presentation she provided specific examples of tactics, but she showed how a nonprofit organization can be profitable financially and personally. The tactics Minadeo offered included visual storytelling, brand ambassadors, content development options and engagement of internal audiences.
- Visual storytelling is key – audiences love visuals
- Look at campaigns holistically
- Always tie back to the mission and purpose of the nonprofit
- Use your internal and external staff, donors and ambassadors because they already care
- Train people to look for stories
Amanda Troncone is a sophomore public relations student, and serves as the professional development coordinator for Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America. She hopes to someday partner her passion with public relations to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. Follow Amanda on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.