Session: Once Upon a Time: A Guide to Storytelling
Presenter: Lindsey Groepper, President – BLASTmedia and Sabrina Lot, Vice President of Marketing and Communication – 500 Festival, Inc.
Recap: The “Once Upon a Time: A Guide to Storytelling” session at the 2016 PRSSA National Conference presented how to become a good storyteller in the field of public relations. Lindsey Groepper and Sabrina Lot encouraged making the process of storytelling a team effort, and to focus on the people who have stories to tell. Once you find a story, make the media want to publish it by tying the story to something already in the news or a timely trend. The two pushed that we, in order to be a successful storyteller, have to catch the attention of the news.
- It is your job to fill in the gaps between big moments
- Take time up front to do the research on the audience, news outlet and story
- Ask for stories via social media, story mining sessions and face-to-face conversations
- Talk to the people on the ground level whether they are volunteers, customers or attendees
- Keep detailed notes on pitches, and whether or not they are successful
Amanda Troncone is a sophomore public relations student, and serves as the professional development coordinator for Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America. She hopes to someday partner her passion with public relations to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. Follow Amanda on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.