Session: “Media Relations: How Not to Throw Away Your Shot”
Presenter: Zach Dugan, Media Specialist at Ketchum
Recap: Zach Dugan is working the world of “old school” PR, in the ever-changing world. Dugan gave several tips on how to survive the craziness of the world of PR at the PRSSA 2017 Regional Conference held at Penn State. In his address, he emphasized how to keep up with serving different clients and being the best version of yourself.
- Find the best way to market yourself.
- Media Lists are important – learn them now!
- Pitch and application cover letters: facts always come first, and keep it short.
- Personalized emails are key, be human. Include visuals and be polite.
- Read the news! Pitch to their world with their world.
Natalie Johnston is a sophomore at Waynesburg University, majoring in public relations and minoring in environmental studies. She currently serves as the Assistant Photographer for Waynesburg University PRSSA, as well as an Account Specialist for Red Brick Communications. She plans on pursuing a career in conservation efforts post-graduation.