Session: Becoming the MacGyver of Your Digital Career
Presenter: Zainab Javed, Digital Strategist at GPSImpact
Recap: Zainab Javed walked students through her experience working with the Pennsylvania Democratic Party as a Digital Strategist during this past election cycle. Javed showed a closer look at email campaigns, Facebook and Twitter, as well as their different purposes and power for a digital strategist. She focused on how to attract audience attention through strategic content and how to turn that exposure into actionable results.
- Learn how to target people on digital platforms to go directly to the people you want to reach.
- When writing content, invite audience to take an actionable step.
- “Only 35 percent of your Facebook followers see your posts but they will always see your email,” said Javed. Emails are a huge source of action and fundraising.
- When running a digital campaign, you want to revisit the same characters repeatedly to make content relatable.
- Twitter is the platform to make the news, so follow and utilize trending topics and hashtags rather than creating one.
Amanda Troncone is a sophomore public relations student, and serves as the professional development coordinator for Waynesburg University Public Relations Student Society of America. She hopes to someday partner her passion with public relations to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. Follow Amanda on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.