Session: Blazing an Untraditional Path in PR
Presenter: Rebecca Shapiro – Agency Account Strategist, Google
Recap: Most public relations students have an idea of what a typical public relations career looks like. Rebecca Shapiro told those attending her session to erase that idea. Shapiro told her audience, “I just keep moving farther and farther away from what the typical PR career is.” She reiterated the fact that public relations will take you places that you never expected and that change is the only thing that will be constant.
- Take advantage of leadership opportunities.
- Do some networking and “LinkedIn stalking” of people who are employed at a company that you think you’d be interested in working for.
- When applying for jobs, know where you’re not willing to go, location-wise and industry-wise.
- Don’t be afraid of a job qualification that you may not have YET.
- Embrace the change that is bound to come your way.
Olivia Kelley is a sophomore public relations major at Waynesburg University. She serves as the historian for Waynesburg University’s Public Relations Student Society of America Chapter, and as an account specialist for Red Brick Communications. Follow her on Twitter and connect with her on LinkedIn.