Session: Sports Communication Panel
Presenter(s): Chris Blaine, Director of Marketing and Communication of the Washington Wild Things; Abe Key, CEO and President of PONY Baseball and Softball International; Kevin Fenstermacher, Director of Communication and Assistant Commissioner for the President Athletics’ Conference
Recap: The panelists discussed the necessary skills an employee must possess to work in the competitive world of sports. They pushed the concept that passion, writing and relationships are key ingredients to working in athletics.
With the fast-paced world of professional sports, the panelists encouraged attendees to be organized, punctual and adaptable. They shared their wisdom on how to evolve and advance in the ever-changing world.
- Don’t be afraid to take an entry-level job after post-graduation – you will advance.
- Writing is key, and is a necessary skill in any field.
- It’s all about who you know – so build as many relationships as you can.
- Social media and technology is the future of the industry.
- Learn what the media wants from you, and learn how to abide by that.
Natalie Gloady is a senior at Waynesburg University, where she majors in public relations and sports information. She serves as the Public Relations Director for Waynesburg PRSSA, as well as an Account Executive for Red Brick Communications. Natalie hopes to pursue a job in the sports industry as a social media coordinator or publications director post-graduation. Follow her on Twitter or connect with her on LinkedIn.